Logo

Tbilisi Mayor rejects claims over Rustaveli Avenue project delays, tree removal

politics
58
Frontnews
Kaladze said all decisions involving trees were based on expert assessments and that trees posing a danger to public safety would be removed if necessary
Kaladze said all decisions involving trees were based on expert assessments and that trees posing a danger to public safety would be removed if necessary

Tbilisi Mayor Kakha Kaladze has dismissed what he described as "false information" surrounding the rehabilitation of central Rustaveli Avenue, insisting the project remains on schedule and denying claims of widespread tree removal.

Speaking at a meeting of the Tbilisi municipal government on Wednesday, Kaladze accused some media outlets and social media users of spreading misleading reports about the “flagship” infrastructure project.

He said rehabilitation works began on 23 July and reiterated that the project would take four months to complete, with completion expected by the end of November.

Kaladze rejected reports by one television channel that the completion date had been brought forward to October, saying the information was inaccurate.

He also denied claims that mature trees were being felled on a large scale during the works.

He claimed only one tree in Freedom Square was removed because it was hollow and posed a safety risk. He added that several mature plane trees near underground pedestrian crossings had been pruned to allow rehabilitation work to proceed safely.

Kaladze said all decisions involving trees were based on expert assessments and that trees posing a danger to public safety would be removed if necessary.

He accused some political groups of attempting to turn public safety issues into political controversy and said the municipality would continue to provide updates on the project through official channels.

The mayor also defended the city's broader urban planning policy, saying that since taking office in 2017, the municipality had not sold any parks, squares, recreational areas or stadiums for residential development. Instead, he said the city had spent millions of lari repurchasing public green spaces and sports facilities that had been privatised under previous administrations.


Advertisement
Advertisement 2
News