Lawyer of Georgia’s former president Mikheil Saakashvili, Shota Tutberidze says that Saakashvili will not stop treatment following his 50-day hunger strike until Monday.
“Saakashvili has considered our request and decided to receive treatment at least until Monday,” Tutberidze said.
He stated that Saakashvili wishes to attend a trial hearing in a case concerning him on Monday and called on the government not to hamper his transfer to the court as the opposition has plans to rally in front of Tbilisi City Court.
Earlier this week Saakashvili himself called on supporters to rally there, ‘as it will be an opportunity for me to address you.’
Tbilisi City Court will hold a trial hearing on November 7, 2007 rally dispersal case in which Saakashvili is charged.
In trial hearings of previous three cases Saakashvili was refused to be taken to the court due to ‘security threats and his health condition.’
The third president, who is now a citizen of Ukraine, says that he returned after eight years in political exile to remove the Georgian Dream government from power.
He was convicted in absentia in Georgia back in 2018 for abuse of power and was sentenced to six years in prison.
Saakashvili has also been charged with five other offences, including illegal seizure of property, embezzlement, abuse of power, illegally crossing the border and illegal rally dispersal.